Follow on Twitter
on January 19, 2015 at 1:11 PM, updated January 19, 2015 at 1:28 PM
SPRINGFIELD -- Faulty wiring was the cause of a basement fire Monday morning that displaced a woman from her Indian Orchard home, Dennis Leger, aide to Commissioner Joseph Conant, said.
Nobody was home at 74 Larimer St. when the blaze broke out about 10:45 a.m., Leger said. No injuries were reported.
A neighbor reported seeing heavy yellow smoke from the chimney area of the structure.
Leger estimated damage at about $35,000 and said the fire damage was mostly confined to the basement and that there was a small amount on the first floor. The second floor sustained smoke damage, he said.
The Pioneer Valley Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the displaced woman.
The Springfield Arson & Bomb Squad was able to quickly determine the cause of the fire.
According to city records, the property is owned by Dona A. Rice and has an assessed value of $94,000.