LOCAL 648
Springfield kitchen fire displaces two families
Posted On: Sep 10, 2020

Springfield kitchen fire displaces two families

Updated Sep 08, 6:26 PM; Posted Sep 08, 5:28 PM
Springfield fire displaces family

A fire caused by unattended cooking displaced a family on Wallace Street Tuesday. (Jeanette DeForge/Republican staff)

SPRINGFIELD – Nine people were displaced after a fire heavily damaged a kitchen in a duplex Tuesday.

Flames broke out at about 4:15 p.m. at 19 Wallace St. No one was injured in the fire, Capt. Drew Piemonte said.

“They were able to get on scene quickly and established an aggressive interior attack and knocked it down,” Piemonte said of the firefighters who responded.

The Fire Department’s Arson and Bomb Squad determined the fire was caused by unattended cooking, he said.

The fire damaged the unit at 19A and caused smoke damage in the neighboring duplex at 19B. The family in 19B will be able to return to their home as soon as the landlord can sanitize the unit, but the second family will not be able to move back until repairs can be made, Piemonte said.

The fire caused between $15,000 and $20,000 damage. The residents are being assisted by the American Red Cross, he said.

Firefighters were able to leave the scene by about 5 p.m.


-
Contact Info
IAFF Local 648

,
 

Top of Page image
Powered By UnionActive - Copyright © 2021. All Rights Reserved.